Monday, October 22, 2007

Frozen minds and thawed critters

Manatee Status=""

I was all excited when I began reading this article, but, by the end, I was disappointed. I felt led-on to believe one thing was happening when it was really another, much less exciting thing that the story is about. Read it yourself and see if you don't agree.

At the start, the article has this line: "They plan to spend five months working in sub-zero temperatures beneath nearly 3.5km of ice at Lake Ellsworth in Antarctica." At that point, I am thinking, "wow, humans are gonna live under ice, that deep under ice? That's not likely unless they are thinking of a cave, right?" I mean, 3.5km of ice, that is very far down. Then I continue reading the piece and it is about drilling to that depth and my excitement falls with a thud, as this is something I have heard before and really, how original is that? It's been done! Our hard-working researchers living at the South Pole deserve to be recognized for their hard work and long hours and we should see them actively doing things that are interesting and thrilling! What I suggest is building a giant drill, similar to what was seen in that hum-drum movie The Core, and dig into the ice, dig deep, stream it live online and on CNN, FoxNews, MSNBC, CBS, etc. and get the world energized by what might be found. That would be worth spending billions and billions on.

No comments: